[CentOS] Dell firmware repository - out of date firmware?

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 17:31:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Patrick Flaherty <pflaherty at wsi.com> wrote:

> Joining the chorus of "Join the dell poweredge mailing list", but also
> throwing in there isn't much in the way of sync between
> bios/drivers/OMSA. updates. It's not uncommon to have versions of OMSA
> in the repo that say the firmware you just updated from the repo is
> out of date. Yes it sucks. I suggest you set up a copy of OME  (open
> manage essentials) which makes managing/updating/reporting on your

Is OME is Windows only software?
The install guide PDF [0] doesn't mention installs on Linux.
And the FAQ [1] only mentions OMSA components (and monitoring Linux hosts)
and not OME on Linux.

Thanks for any insight.

[0]
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/19998614/download.aspx
[1]
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3265.openmanage-essentials-faq.aspx

> bios/firmware rather easy. It's free other than the psychological
> trauma of having SNMP enabled on all your servers.

No biggie.
I have SNMP enabled on all my production servers for monitoring purposes.
Firewall rules prohibit SNMP access except when coming from the monitoring
system. :)

> Patrick
>
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> > SilverTip257 wrote:

> >> Yep, ask Dell.
> >
> > I *think* the last time I d/l and burned a DVD of their stuff, a few
> > months ago, it was still CentOS 5.x - 6, maybe?
> >
> >        mark

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //