[CentOS] LibreOffice 4.0 on Centos 5.9

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Feb 11 15:36:48 UTC 2013

On 02/10/2013 11:59 AM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 04:11:00PM +0000, Nux! wrote:
>> On 10.02.2013 14:11, fred smith wrote:
>>> I've just installed LibreOffice 4.0.0.3 on my Centos 5.9 system. the
>>> previous version (3.4.x) was working fine. But 4.0.0.3 won't start up.
>>> When run from a terminal it prints:
>>>
>>> no suitable windowing system found, exiting.
>>>
>>> Is this yet another case of apps moving on beyond compatibility with
>>> the older components in C5?
>>>
>>> Or any hints for making it work?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>> Check this
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/libreoffice-bugs@lists.freedesktop.org/msg78793.html
> Ah-HA! that does the trick,... thanks a bunch!
>

> Now I have LO starting, but the document (foo.odt) I'm trying to read
> (which works fine in LO 3.x on a windows box, both versions reading from
> the same shared folder out on the network) it claims is corrupt, asks
> if I want to repair it and instantly says it can't be repaired. Still
> works well on the older/windows LO. SIGH.
>
> ah. looks like it's already been reported:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/libreoffice-bugs@lists.freedesktop.org/msg76791.html
>
> and the workaround may be to copy it to a local drive. funny how it has
> no problem with .rtf files on the same netowrk share. :(

I had some other issues with some Calc macros that open URL links not
working properly in 4.0.x, which worked fine on 3.4.x, 3.5.x, and 3.6.x
LibreOffice as well as on older 3.x versions of OpenOffice.

This same issue happened initially on 3.6.x as well, but they fixed it
by 3.6.2 ... so I suspect they will fix it on 4.0.x as well.

Just open and test any critical and/or complicated macro type documents
before you go all in :D