[CentOS] Overdue upgrade of bind

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Feb 13 00:54:32 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 06:46 PM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> In particular under /var/named/chroot/etc I use to put my named.conf
>> with all the include files.  Now I see sub-directories named and pki
>> there.  I am ASSuMEing that pki will be for the DNSSEC; but where is
>> the documentation?  I tried looking for readme files, but can't find
>> anything related to the chrooted bind environment.  What file is the
>> location of named.conf set up in?
>
> That bit me too, early in the transition.
>
> The short story: the main BIND configuration file in CentOS 6 is
> /etc/named.conf.
>
> The long story: There's some funky bind mounts (where "bind" !=
> "BIND", adding to the confusion). Run "mount | grep named" to get the
> overall sense of it, but in particular, you'll see
>
> [root]# mount | grep named.conf
> /etc/named.conf on /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf type none (rw,bind)
>
> It ends up functioning like a hard link:
>
> [root]# ls -1i /etc/named.conf /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
> 3538955 /etc/named.conf
> 3538955 /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
>
> All the bind mounts are managed via /etc/init.d/named; see the
> mount_chroot_conf() function for the action.

And from this I got pointed to /etc/sysconfig/named which is MUCH more
informative than the same file on the old system.

Thanks all.  I believe I have enough pointers to get the basics setup here.

Though, I am still trying to figure out what ~/etc/named is for.  Am I
suppose to put all my includes here rather than directly in ~/etc?