[CentOS] OT: UPS battery vendor, cont'd

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Feb 13 13:12:11 UTC 2013

On 02/12/13 19:19, S.Tindall wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 13:28 -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Here's the state of my search: BatteriesPlus is... odd. The corporate
>> site, and after a phone call, tell me they don't do GSA, but some of their
>> franchises do. I called the local one, and they do.
>>
>> However, the only RBC 43 they offer, I might as well buy direct from APC,
>> at well over $300 for the set.
>>
>> Battery Sharks, and Apex, don't do GSA... but they *do* offer replacements
>> for about $100 for the set.
>>
>> Having checked with my manager, we'll try the open market quotes. I would
>> like a third recommendation, so I can offer purchasing three quotes.
>>
>> Recommendations?
>
> When it was not an emergency purchase, I have historically used
> McMaster-Carr, an industrial supplier, for my replacement batteries.
>
> http://www.mcmaster.com/#sealed-lead-acid-batteries/=lg9y5y
>
> I think you are looking for either the 7448K26 (12V 5Ah F2 $21.67 each)
> or the 7448K81 (12V 6Ah F2 $26.72 each), which are NOT the ones I am
> usually buying. I have never had a problem with their batteries.

Huh. No, I want to pay on the order of $12/individual battery, or around
$100 or so for the set of 8; The one I found, Batteries+, that does do
GSA, wanted about $30 each; as a comparison, APC sells them for about that.

I got a tad testy with one vender, who suggested that folks working with
the gov't weren't interested in saving tax dollars....
<snip>
Thanks, though.

	mark