[CentOS] I want an advice

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Feb 14 02:50:28 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 05:48 PM, Bassem Sossan wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've changed from Ms Windows 2008 R2 to CentOS 6 recently, and there are
> many aspects to learn in relation to command line ( Bash scripting, package
> system managing, file system and so on )...
>
> I need to apply as much as I can of Network Infrastructure knowledge ( DNS,
> DHCP and Virtualization .... ) concepts using CentOS 6 GUI...
>
> I know that I must learn dealing with linux using command tools and that
> will come, but it has much more of time, so, Am I forced as a learner to
> follow command line tools before going to GUI or I can get a good knowledge
> and experience by implementing my skills on GUI  ?
>
> So sorry to pothering....
>
> All the best...

Welcome to the world of linux!

First up, one of the nice things about linux is that you are rarely
forced to do anything. That said, most sysadmins do work primarily on
the command line. However, most tools have graphical versions or
front-ends to help ease the learning curve.

If you can find a good sysadmin book for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
version 6, you can use what you read on CentOS as CentOS is a nearly
exact copy of Red Hat.

Keep in mind that the linux command line is nothing at all like the
windows command line. You don't have to be a programmer to use it, but
as you learn, you will find that you can do many "program-like" things
that will save you a lot of time and make your life very simple, even
when doing very complex tasks. It is why most people end up using the
command line most.

So don't feel intimidated, take your time and have fun! Of course, the
mailing list is a great place to ask for help when you run into road blocks.

Enjoy!

--
Digimer
access to education?