[CentOS] Set an Ethernet Interface Metric

SilverTip257

silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:08:09 UTC 2013

Hello All,

I ended up answering my own question, but figured I'd share this and open
up for discussion.

It is possible to set a metric with 'route' or `ip route`.
What I'm wondering is if there's a Red Hat/CentOS way of assigning a metric
in the network-scripts?

Answer:
[0] (from 2008) works.
ex:  METRIC=10

Deployment Guides:  EL5 [1] and EL6 [2] do not mention metrics on the

*** The output from `ifconfig` does NOT show the metric as I set it, but
the output from `route` does.

I suppose this is the intended behavior?
The default gateway route would have the metric and not the interface.

Notice "Metric: 1" and "UG 10" below.

>From my test box (EL6):
~]# ifconfig eth0 | grep ric; route -n | grep G
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.X.Y     0.0.0.0         UG    10     0        0 eth0

[0]
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-fedora-centos-setup-routing-metric-networkdevice/
[1]
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html