[CentOS] More on Re: Really changing the hostname

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 20:52:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> well, that is why you should remove any reference to the MAC address
>>> from "ifcfg-eth*" to have "70-persistent-net.rules" as single instance
>>> for this assignment
>>
>> Or make them match
>
> why would someone want the need to edit two config
> files with the same value if the name of the interface
> is what counts?
>
> after you have prepared a migration to a virtual infrastructure
> and because other reasons the MAC was changed and your whole
> "sync data, shutdown interface on old machine and start on the
> new one" failed because this fucking entry in "ifcfg-eth*" you
> will never ever enter in this file ANYTHING which is not hardly
> needed

You still have to deal with at least one file, and if you can fix one
it's not that much harder to fix two.   Almost all of our machines
(virtual and real) have multiple interfaces.

>> In either case I am somewhat nervous about
>> depending on files that sometimes magically get re-written - and don't
>> really understand the things that can trigger it
>
> call your interfaces in "70-persistent-net.rules" "lan0", "lan1",
> "wan0" and change "ifcfg-eth*" to match and this will not happen

If the system re-writes 70-persistent-net.rules itself, the names will
change and the NIC ordering is unpredictable.  And if you script a
fixup, it's just another line or two to fix the matching ifcfg-*
files.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com