[CentOS] Editing udev rules Was: More on Re: Really changing the hostname

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Sat Feb 16 04:16:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM,  <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, and if you're changing the MAC, don't forget, as of CentOS 6, to edit
>>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. If you don't, you're hosed.
>>
>> That has not been my experience? We have a bunch of mini-itx machines with
>> realtek cards in them that have a high failure rate. I have been swapping
>> them for intel cards. I have never messed with the udev rules. All I do is
>> edit the HWADDR line in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* to show the
>> new MAC. I then shutdown the machine, replace the NIC and restart.
>>
>> These are headless C-6 machines built from a ks.cfg file. Metworkmangler
>> never gets installed.
>>
>> What is messing with udev rules supposed to be necessary?
>
> You should have a line in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> that associates the MAC address with the eth? name for each of your
> NICs.   Certain things (like removing the file, and maybe some
> hardware changes) will make it be reconstructed during boot and if you
> only have one NIC you wouldn't have much chance of it being wrong.
> But, if the name set there doesn't match the name of the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* file with the correct MAC
> address, that interface should not start.

Empirical evidence seems to suggest that if the correct udev entry is missing
udev will create the entry on its own.

FWIW, the cards I am changing out have 3 ports on them
and again after doing 15 of these, I have never messed with udev.

I did not even know about this "problem" until I read about it on this list.

Interestingly enough, I just looked at the udev file and it contains not only
the new mac addresses but also the old ones.

For example the entries for eth1 looks like the following:

# PCI device 0x10ec:0x8167 (r8169)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:30:18:a9:e4:ad", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1076 (e1000) (custom name provided by external tool)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:30:18:a4:eb:d0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

I did not put any of these entries in there and I wonder what
"external tool" is providing the "custom name"?

Is there anyone here who actually knows how this is supposed to work?

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org