[CentOS] OT: memory brands?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Feb 20 22:29:14 UTC 2013

On 2/20/2013 12:57 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I'm looking at something called "Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600)
> CL9 Dual Channel". Was this the type that you had problems with, John?

I had these problems with DDR2 stuff in the core2 generation of
processors, with the 3 and 4 series chipsets (P45, H3x, etc).   I don't
recall the specific Ballistix, but it was supposedly faster (higher
clock rate and lower CAS timing) than the 'standard' ram for those
chips.   It failed erratically, after a year+ of stable running at the
standard speeds, but in two different cases (different systems, boards,
and memory) it would  pass a 24 hour memtest even when running at
'overclock' rates (I test at conservative overclock speeds as well as
normal, then run at stock speeds, presuming this gives me good margins).