[CentOS] Warning: Your BIOS is broken

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Feb 22 19:58:24 UTC 2013

On 02/22/2013 02:32 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 22.02.2013 20:28, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>>> on a similar/identical bug with Fedora FC17, someone suggested booting
>>> with iommu=off to work around this.
>> Where do I add this?
> like every other kernel param in /boot/grub/grub.conf at
> the end of the kernel line

Kernel param.  I really should have caught that.

So I was all ready to edit grub.conf and then slapped my hand.  You TEST
it out first, adding the command at boot time.  ARGH!  Once before (5+
years back) I had to add a kernel param and did it wrong and it was a
big recovery challenge.  No test and verify before making permanent.  Whew.

So I googled the param to get its format right, and it is iommu=off.
Without that dash in front.  But as I read up on this option, it does
not sound like something I want to globally turn off just to stop a
supposedly annoying message (if they have indeed worked around it, and
my new DNS server is running with this OK).

So I will test from booting and typing the option in without actually
altering grub.conf.  But if there is a way to just stop getting this
message, that would be good too.

thank you all for your help.