[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 17:50:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca> wrote:

> This is where you need something like Katello or Spacewalk.  These are management systems which look after managing your infrastructure in such a way that you can view what servers are out of compliance and what patches are waiting to be applied.
>
> I'm currently evaluating Katello as a long term solution to our Red Hat GNU/Linux management.  I'd hazard to guess that you'll probably want to do the same too.

These seem like serious overkill for a small number of servers,
especially ones where you don't run a lot of local or 3rd party apps
and thus should never have a reason to need anything but moderately
frequent 'yum -y update' runs.   What kind of time and resources does
it take to understand, set up, and manage one of these beasts?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com