[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Mon Feb 25 22:34:41 UTC 2013

Am 25.02.2013 15:56, schrieb m.roth at 5-cent.us:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>> Then there is the actual update.  I learned long ago NOT to run yum over
>> an SSH connection, as WHEN that connection breaks in the middle of an
>> update, you can have quite a problem to clean up.  All I have done
>
> That sounds, to me, as though you have very serious communications issues
> that need to be solved, and yesterday. We've used ssh here, and at my
> previous two? three? contracts, for years, and almost *never* have an ssh
> connection break.

It does happen. SSH is not as forgiving to network glitches as one
would wish sometimes. A firewall that drops idle or long-running
TCP connections, a DSL link doing its daily PPPoE disconnect at an
inopportune moment, a VPN tunnel dropping, a hole in UMTS coverage,
have all killed a SSH connection for me one time or another.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH