[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Mon Feb 25 22:45:15 UTC 2013

Am 25.02.2013 23:36, schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 25.02.2013 23:34, schrieb Tilman Schmidt:

>>> That sounds, to me, as though you have very serious communications issues
>>> that need to be solved, and yesterday. We've used ssh here, and at my
>>> previous two? three? contracts, for years, and almost *never* have an ssh
>>> connection break.
>>
>> It does happen. SSH is not as forgiving to network glitches as one
>> would wish sometimes. A firewall that drops idle or long-running
>> TCP connections, a DSL link doing its daily PPPoE disconnect at an
>> inopportune moment, a VPN tunnel dropping, a hole in UMTS coverage,
>> have all killed a SSH connection for me one time or another
>
> and that is why "screen" was invented

Well, not quite. IIRC screen is older than SSH and was actually invented
to switch between multiple screens on a text mode
terminal attached either via a modem or a null modem cable.
But I agree that it comes in handy for this scenario, too.

> everybody doing a yum-upgarde over WAN directly on SSH
> instead use screen is a foll and should not maintain servers

Sure. Whatever a "foll" is supposed to be ... :-)

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH