[CentOS] running yum update on remote servers

David Hrbáč david-lists at hrbac.cz
Wed Feb 27 05:31:08 UTC 2013

Dne 25.2.2013 14:48, Robert Moskowitz napsal(a):
> I have read a couple old threads here on updates for servers, and I am
> looking for some mechanics to getting the actual updates done.  I don't
> want automatic updates; I want to control when and what gets updated.
>
> First I have to determine that a particular server needs updates.  I
> suppose a daily script that would run "yum check-updates' and emails me
> the results could work, but then I would only want the email IF there
> was something to update, at my limited use of this option does not show
> anything to trigger a notify on changes.  Does anyone know of a script
> that would do this?
>
> Then there is the actual update.  I learned long ago NOT to run yum over
> an SSH connection, as WHEN that connection breaks in the middle of an
> update, you can have quite a problem to clean up.  All I have done
> todate is to start vncserver and connect via vnc to then run yum.  I can
> even drop the vnc connection and come back later to check results.  I
> have considered running yum disconnected (? when you end a command with
> &) and log the results to a file that you check later.  What are
> practical approaches to this?  I only have a few servers here to manage.

Hi,
We update all the boxes over ssh. Works fine. Those who are afraid of
disconnections may always run it within tmux/screen session. As to
managing the whole infra, the best tool for that is Spacewalk, but it
might be too big for you. So, you can have nagios to check yum status on
all the boxes. There is also a tool called apt-dater, see
http://www.ibh.de/apt-dater/ Regardless the "APT" in the name it handles
yum well.
DH