[CentOS] Best practices to setup XEN running on CentOS 6.4

PhantomNet

info at phantomnet.net
Thu Jul 4 00:16:56 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to setup the guest disks on a
single-server XEN system running on a Centos 6.4 fresh minimal install
as the dom0.

I currently have a system running a traditional VHD disk image for each
guest but I'm having disk I/O difficulties and I am looking to optimize
it the best way I can.  The host disks are two classic 500GB SATA-III
drives running in software RAID.

My question is what is the best way to set this type of system up? Using
the VHD disks or a dedicated LVM partition?

Ideally the host will run a few VM's, development, MySQL/Memcached, and
Web Server utilities.

My current planned disk layout is to have a host system running a raid'd
root 20GB partition, leaving the rest for VM's. Should the remaining
block be a complete LVM device and carve that up for VM's, or is there a
better "accepted practice" for a setup like this?

Thanks