[CentOS] sda and sdb reverse order with an external USB drive

Joseph Hesse

joehesse at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 15:46:52 UTC 2013

Hello

I am using 64 bit CentOS 6.4 on an i7 laptop with one sata drive and a
CD drive.
I installed CentOS by manually partitioning sda as:
sda1 as /boot, sda2 as swap, sda3 as /.
The booted system works great.

When I insert an external USB drive, formatted as ext3, the hard drive
on the laptop and the
USB drive are either sda or sdb, depending upon the order on which I
insert the USB drive
and boot the system.  Please see the two mount commands below for each
of these situations.

This seems to work in either order except for the fact that I don't want
my USB drive to automount.

What I want is that after I insert the USB drive in a running system and
wait 15 seconds, I want to
mount the USB drive with the command "# mount /mnt".  To accomplish this
I added a line to /etc/fstab but it didn't work.
When I uncomment the last line in fstab (see below) the computer hangs
and doesn't boot.  I was successful with this strategy on a
similar laptop with Fedora 18 but not my current one.

Thank you,
Joe Hesse

The following mount command was issued by first completely booting
CentOS and then inserting the external USB Drive.
Note the sda3 is / and sda1 is /boot.

[root at XoticPC ~]# mount
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/GoFlex type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

The following mount command was issued by inserting the external USB
drive in a powered down computer and then booting.
Note the sdb3 is / and sdb1 is /boot.

[root at XoticPC ~]# mount
/dev/sdb3 on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /boot type ext4 (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /media/GoFlex type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)

The /etc/fstab file was generated by the install process.  The commented
line at the bottom was added by me in an unsuccessful attempt to
be able to insert the USB drive in a booted computer, not having it
mount, and then control the mounting with "# mount /mnt".
The last UUID is the UUID of sdb1 determined with the command "# blkid
/dev/sdb1".

# /etc/fstab
UUID=1d7606b7-46b8-4b29-9a4e-a50a1f6a1759 / ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=e0fdfeb1-e7a7-4a06-b5fa-7730c3c2e60d /boot ext4    defaults        1 2
UUID=d0e3c2ee-7c66-4d13-b387-1da958020b1a swap swap    defaults        0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc defaults        0 0
#UUID=3b550884-8d05-41a5-a205-17b6d7269dd1 /mnt ext3
rw,suid,dev,exec,noauto,nouser,async  0  2