[CentOS] This isn't supposed to be difficult (how to nntp post to the Gmane Pan user group)

Rock Rocksockdoc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:39:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 11:16:55 +0200, Leon Fauster wrote:

> why not asking them http://gmane.org/faq.php ?

It's not in that FAQ, nor in the web page for the pan users group.
I did ask "Lars" but he controls gmane, not the pan users group.

Amazingly, the pan users group just (apparently) assumes you omnipotently
already know what to set the NNTP client server:port, login:password, and
user:email to in order to post successfully.

For example, this is what you need to post to *this* group:
 Group name = gmane.linux.centos.general
 Server = news.gmane.org
 Port = 119
 Login = blank
 Password = blank
 Username = Foo
 Email = foo at bar.com <== this is all that needs to be pre-registered in order
 to post to gmane.linux.centos.general. (I forget how I had pre-registered,
 but, IIRC, I had sent an email to someone at somewhere and they wrote back
 with the instructions above - which allows me to post as long as I put that
 email address in the posting profile).