[CentOS] Understanding RPM trigger scripts?

James Pearson

james-p at moving-picture.com
Mon Jul 8 15:45:04 UTC 2013

I'm trying to get my head around RPM trigger scripts - but currently
getting very confused ...

I have a custom RPM which has in its spec file a '%triggerin' script for
the 'kernel' RPM - i.e. a script that I want to run when the kernel RPM
is upgraded/installed

This works OK - once my custom RPM is installed, if the kernel is
subsequently upgraded/installed, my trigger script is run

However, the same trigger script is also run when I upgrade my custom
RPM - which I don't want - and so far, I can't find a reliable way of
making sure it isn't run in this case. The more I search for an answer,
the more I get confused :-)

I know this is a bit off-topic and obscure, but does anyone know how to
make sure such a trigger script is only run when the RPM that triggers
it is upgraded/installed - and not when the RPM that contains the
trigger script is upgraded?

Thanks

James Pearson