[CentOS] postfix as default MTA

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Wed Jul 10 23:43:42 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 09:37 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> For a contrary opinion, while sendmail.cf is difficult to follow,
> I've never found sendmail.mc too difficult.
>
> However, I'm finding postfix very difficult to configure with spamassassin.
> Postfix/dovecot works well enough,
> but the recommended addition of amavisd-new with clamav and spamassassin
> seems extraordinarily complicated and spaghetti-like,
> and I haven't found any documentation in *.centos.org
> that describes the specific spamassassin side of the setup.
> [The alternative sendmail/procmail/spamassassin combination
> I run on another server seems much easier to follow.]
>
> Everything on my server appears to be running as it should,
> but I don't think any spam is being caught.
> Eg I have set
> ok_languages en it fr de ga
> in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf (and re-started spamassassin)
> but I am still inundated with chinese spam.
>
> If anyone knows of any documentation on the recommended CentOS setup
> of postfix/dovecot with amavis, clamav and spamassassin
> I should be grateful for a pointer.

I've had good success installing spamass-milter-postfix from the EPEL
repository, and then adding:

smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock

to /etc/postfix/main.cf, as instructed in
/usr/share/doc/spamass-milter-postfix-0.3.2/README.Postfix

I don't have any amavis stuff configured.

-Greg