[CentOS] How to get Centos to recognize a Motorola RAZR V3 as a USB device?

Phil Gardner phil.gardnerjr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:05:52 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 02:58 AM, Woehrle Hartmut SBB CFF FFS (Extern) wrote:

>> I have a mini-USB cable, but simply connecting a Motorola RAZR to a Linux (Centos 6) PC to download stored pictures doesn't work, at least not automatically.
>>
>> Any idea what I need to do to get Centos to recognize that a Motorola RAZR V3 is plugged in as a USB device?
>>
>> (I don't have a data plan on this phone - I'm just trying to get archived pictures off of it onto the computer.)
> What does dmesg say when you plug that device in?
> Is there an output when using lsusb and does it correspond to your devices?
>
> CU
> Hartmut

Not positive if the RAZR is using the same file storage as my Galaxy
Nexus, but many of the recent android phones are using MTP as opposed to
USB mass storage, which sucks IMO. Apparently it was introduced by
Microsoft.

I use gvfs in Fedora. According to wikipedia, MTP support was added to
gvfs in January of this year, version 1.15.2.

--
Phil Gardner