[CentOS] Back to gspca - semi-[SOLVED]

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jul 17 15:11:46 UTC 2013

Hi, Patrick,

Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 07/17/2013 03:24 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Ok, following myself up (I've not seen any responses - is anyone
>> listening?)...
>
> Yes, I've read every email you have sent on the subject. Unfortunatly I
> have no clue.

Thanks for listening, at least. Weeks of googling and screwing around gets
*really* tiring and frustrating.

>> yesterday, right before I left, I got the camera working.
>> However... it only works in 320x240 mode. In 640x480, it's still mostly
>> green. Based on this, I've decided my previous analysis was wrong, and
>> the real clue were the error messages about "not enough bandwidth". What I
>> now think is that someone made a change to the USB driver for the oldest,
>> 1.0 and 1.1 specs, and it only hits with certain onboard chips - nothing
>> else can explain why it runs on similar but not identical hardware,
running
>> the same version of the o/s.
>
> I only have a gspca webcam in my laptop and it's broken so I can't
> really be of much help. The only thing I recall is that it did not work

Ah. Y'know, you can pick up the things really cheaply - I think we got a
bunch of these little cameras a few years before I started here, and
*then* they were something like $10 or $20 each.

> very well with Fedora. Usually I had to grab the upstream gspca driver,
> mess with some defines to get the colors right, compile it and keep
> fingers crossed when inserting the module and starting cheese. The
> laptop's USB version is USB1 and it has a NM10/ICH7 chipset.

Have you tried playing with the parms in your viewer? You might not need
to recompile. And we're really trying *not* to build our own packages.

> FWIW, maybe try every older kernel you can get your hands on and see
> where the issue no longer occurs. Then get the kernel's src.rpm and try
> to figure out which patch could possibly be the culprit.

Can't do things like that, not without a show stopper: these are servers
here at work, and they *must* stay up as much as possible.

     mark