[CentOS] LSI MegaRAID experience...

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Thu Jul 18 15:32:12 UTC 2013

I have about 20 servers running CentOS 6 with LSI RAID controllers, all
using MegaCLI64 and I have not have problems. I did have a problem with
a white-box using a SM chassis and I found on occasion that one node
would periodically fail to see a couple drives on boot though. In this
case, a cold power off fixed the problem. I only have two SM chassis
though, so my sample-set is low.

Given this though, I'd look at the SM back-plane before the LSI
controller itself.

On 18/07/13 11:26, John Doe wrote:
> Hey,
>
> anyone using an LSI MegaRAID experienced "disappearing drives"...?
> We installed 6 new C6 servers, each with a Supermicro SMC2108 (LSI MegaRAID) controllers and 3 PX-128M5Pro SSDs ( RAID1 + hostswap).
> 2 weeks (and almost no activity on it, since not in production, apart from installation) later, megacli sees (based on the slot numbers):
> - on one server: only the 2nd disk of the RAID + the ex-hotswap brought online. NO sign of the first disk, no error message, it just "disapeared"...
> - on another server: apparently lost 1 of the 2 RAID1 disks and then the second disk of the RAID1...  Now I can only see the spare brought online, so lonely...
> Is it "normal" for megacli to "hide" failed disks?
> Controller's firmware is the latest.
> SSDs's firmware are not... will try to flash them.
> BTW, any tips to flash them through the RAID controller instead of having to remove them all and connect them to a SATA controller...?
> This is a bit scary...
>
> Thx,
> JD

Digimer