[CentOS] SSD support in C5 and C6

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:48:40 UTC 2013

I have been following this and have some notes.  Can
you folks comment on them?  I am considering migrating
some systems to SSD but have not had time to set up
a test system yet to verify it.

I found lots of references to TRIM, but it is not included
with CentOS 5.  However, I found that TRIM is in the
newer hdparm which could be build from source,
but AFIK is not included with CentOS 5 RPMS.  That way,
one could trim via a cron job?

Could you folks please comment on the below notes that
I found from multiple sites online.  These are what I was
planning on doing for my systems.  Notes include:

- use file system supporting TRIM (e.g., EXT4 or BTRFS).
- update hdparm to get TRIM support on CentOS 5
- align on block erase boundaries for drive, or use 1M boundaries
- use native, non LVM partitions
- under provision (only use 60-75% of drive, leave unallocated space)
- set noatime in /etc/fstab
    (or relatime w/ newer to keep atime data sane)
- move some tmp files to tmpfs
   (e.g., periodic status files and things that change often)

- move /tmp to RAM (per some suggestions)

- use secure erase before re-use of drive
- make sure drive has the latest firmware
- add “elevator=noop” to the kernel boot options
  or use deadline, can change on a drive-by-drive basis
  (e.g., if HD + SSD in a system)
- reduce swappiness of kernel via /etc/sysctl.conf:

vm.swappiness=1

vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

-- or swap to HD, not SSD

- BIOS tuning to set drives to “write back” and using hdparm:

       hdparm -W1 /dev/sda

Any comments?

--

Wade Hampton