[CentOS] Update to Gnome 3

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jul 24 12:45:51 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 06:44 AM, AJH wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just a little question:
>
> Exists a way to update the Gnome 2.28.1 out of box at Centos 6.4 to a
> Gnome 3?
>
> And if yes...how does this work?
>
> thanks a lot.

There is no supported way to do this.  This would not be easy to
accomplish, but it would be theoretically possible.  You would have to
build gtk3 and then build all the gnome3 apps ... and then you would
have to rebuild all the CentOS-6.4 packages that depend on any of the
gnome2 development libraries with gnome3 as replacements.

I would recommend that if you really MUST have gnome 3, you either use
gnome2 now and wait for RHEL-7 to be released (then we will release
CentOS-7 ... which will have gnome3) ... or that you instead use the
latest Fedora as your desktop (You can get Fedora 19 now ... Fedora 18
is also still supported for 6 or so months).

Remember that base CentOS is not designed to have the latest and
greatest packages, it is designed to be stable and provide support for
the things it is released with for 10 years.

That said, if there are a number of Developers out there who would be
interested in building gnome3 for the CentOS-6 branch, we do Special
Interest Groups to add things to CentOS.  The Xen4CentOS project is an
example of this.  If enough people, who have the knowledge and skill to
actually build gnome3 on CentOS-6, desire a new SIG to be created then
that can be done.  We would need some assurances that this SIG would be
there for the long haul and they would have at least one person from the
upstream Gnome Project in order to form.  If such a group did want to
form, the CentOS-Devel mailing list would be the place for it to happen.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes