[CentOS] howto avoid Samba

Johan Vermeulen

jvermeulen at cawdekempen.be
Mon Jul 29 10:14:16 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I'm replacing an older OpenSuse server with a new Centos6.4 server.
So far that goes ok, except that the OpenSuse server is also a samba
server with ldap connection.

Since I replaced all but 2 machines in the building from Windows to
Linux, I was hoping not to install Samba on the new server. ( And also
because I can't get it to work on Centos. )

I saw a post on the mailinglist some time ago about Windows and Nfs, but
find that Nfs is supported on Win7 Ultimate but not on Professional edition.
I apologise if another way was mentioned in this post and I missed it.

I googled and tried Omni-Nfs, but could not get a connection working.

I installed TightVnc on Windows and that connects ok to the Centos
server, but shared clipboard does not work.

Can anyone point met to a useful solution to enable file sharing to Win7
Pro without Samba?

Many thanks.

greetings, J.

--