[CentOS] How does such long term support work?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 17:14:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Patrick
<patrick at spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> I've had nothing but trouble with BSD/Linux over the past year or so.
>
> I've been on Centos 6.4 for about a half day now and I am loving it.
>
> I am just wondering though, how does a 7 year support cycle work?
>
> I see that there is libreoffice which is kinda new. Is this because open
> office is under oracle's influence?
>
> I am on gnome 2 right now, will I wake up one day in the next 7 years to
> gnome 3 ? I really don't want to. Will I just have gnome 2 + bug fixes?
>
> If so how does the community do this if the gnome people drop support
> for gnome 2.

Basically CentOS rebuilds RHEL source, so whatever happens upstream
will happen to CentOS.   But, the point of an 'Enterprise' version is
that working interfaces don't break within the supported life of the
release.   There is obviously some conflict between fixing problems
and breaking things when the individual application/library developers
have no regard for backwards compatibility in their updates but a lot
of effort goes into it.  So, unless there is a Gnome3 with perfect
backwards compatibility, you'll just get bug fixes until at least
CentOS 7.

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com