[CentOS] Kernel 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6 boot fail

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 23:57:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried installing the upstream vendor's kernel and it works
> fine. I just realized that the problem kernel is CentOS-Plus. I'm
> uninstalling and trying the Centos updates version now...

OK, same error with the CentOS stock kernel (not from CentOS Plus).

Upstream vendor's kernel-2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64 works, stock
CentOS version and CentOS-plus versions hang immediately after
selecting the grub entry.

My hardware is fairly basic:
Motherboard M5A99X EVO R2.0 with version 1708 of the BIOS
NVidia GeForce GTX 560 video card
120G SSD as primary drive
150G SATA hard drive for data VG
ThinkPenguin wireless NIC (atheros driver)

There's nothing I need in the newest kernel that I need, just to
satisfy that weird part of me that wants everything updated :D.