[CentOS] surveillance DVR

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jul 31 20:29:22 UTC 2013

James Pifer wrote:
> mark wrote:
>> Ok, I *must* not have made clear what I was asking for. Let me try one
>> more time....
>>
>> We want an appliance, such as
>> <http://www.zmodo.com/4ch-h-264-full-d1-dvr-500gb-hdd-with-4-cmos-480tvl-ir-outdoor-security-cameras-with-11-leds.html>,
>> that we can put on our network, and manage, and d/l videos for long-term
>> storage, onto a server. We have exactly, um, two? boxes running Windows,
>> and we normally do *nothing* with them. We've over 100 servers running
>> Linux, and that's where we live.
<snip>
>> NOTHING RUNNING WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Not knowing if / how much you're willing to spend, take a look at a
> Synology NAS, which has Surveillance Station. You get one camera license
> with each one and then you have to buy additional camera licenses for
> about $55 each.
>
> Of course you'd be getting a lot more than just a surveillance DVR, so
> may or may not fit your needs. They are great devices.

Well, that wasn't what I wanted, but it led me to the acronym I needed to
know: NVS, and thank you *very* much for leading me to that. Dunno if we
want to spend 2x$600 from newegg for something with four definitely
overkill cameras (we're just surveilling our "computer labs" (these aren't
data centers, no, really, honest (that's if you've read recently that the
gov't has suddenly started designating every server closet as a
"datacenter")), but at that price, it *does* support firefox, and ftp....
so we're getting a lot closer.

         mark