[CentOS] Virtualization in RHEL

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Jun 8 13:16:59 UTC 2013

On 06/08/2013 07:11 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 08:03:36AM -0400, Fidel Dominguez wrote:
>> Hello Friends
>>
>> I need a guide to virtualization in RHEL.
> I think it would help if you were a bit more specific.
>
> For example, putting ks.cfg virtualbox into google came up with this as the
> first hit.
>
> http://mikent.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/how-to-install-linux-redhat-5-x-or-6-x-using-kickstart-over-http-or-cd-rom-or-iso/
>
> VirtualBox is probably the quickest and easiest to use on CentOS.  The
> other options are VMware-player and KVM.
>
>> I tried many ways but it always gives me a different error, and in fact is
>> very difficult and I know what I'm doing wrong.
> The way to get help here would be to tell us what you did, and what errors
> you saw.

I agree with all this, except I would say KVM is the easiest to use as
it is part of the distribution.

The real question is ... do you want just visualization or do you want
cloud services.

 http://www.internap.com/2013/06/04/the-difference-between-private-cloud-and-virtualization/

If you want virtualization only, then KVM and virt-install is going to
be the way to script an automated install:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/index.html

Specifically, something like this is the way to use a kickstart file
with KVM:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvirt-users/2012-November/msg00032.html