[CentOS] Repair grub GPT/UEFI?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 19:51:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> I gave up and restored a backup onto a host without the EFI boot
>> partition and tweaked it to use the old-style grub invocation.   The
>> machines seem to fail back to 'legacy' mode when there is no EFI/fat
>> partition to boot from.  This gives a layout where rear and clonezilla
>> 'just work'  and I'll know how to fix it if anything breaks.   Maybe
>> I'll try again when rear supports UEFI (in the works) and I can look
>> at their shell scripts to figure it out.
>
> You might look at the firmware setup - our Dells let you choose UEFI or BIOS.

Letting it fall back on its own is OK - the problem was that someone
set up a server for development work, then wanted a bunch of identical
copies.  And the default install had set up the UEFI boot stuff.
Another box I had installed myself with explicitly configured
partitions didn't.  Seems kind of strange, but who understands
anaconda?

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com