[CentOS] First problem with new xen repo

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jun 24 02:18:08 UTC 2013

On 06/22/2013 01:05 PM, C. L. Martinez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I am trying to test new xen packages from official centos repos. This
> centos 6.4 x86_64 host is my main virt platform at home (KVM based).
>
>  My idea is to use kvm and xen in this same host (using init level 3
> for kvm and init level 4 for xen), but when I try to install xen
> packages (using the procedure described in wiki), xen installs new
> kernel and tries to remove my kvm-kernel aware (remember, official
> kernel from centos repos).
>
>  From my point of view, it is not admissible.
>
>  Do I need to do another complete centos OS install to use xen
> packages?? Is not possible to use both kernels with only one OS
> install??

There are known issues with the xen and KVM on the same base machine ...
the xen version qemu and the kvm version of qemu clash as does the
libvirt-daemon-kvm and some of the other packages in the main distro.

We know this happens, and we may try to work on it in the future, but
for now KVM and Xen on the same base machine is not supported.

The kernel would do KVM though, just not all the packages will install
if you are installing xen as well.