[CentOS] Server hangs after installing KVM

Guy Boisvert boisvert.guy at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 27 14:26:37 UTC 2013

Le 2013-06-27 10:08, m.roth at 5-cent.us a écrit :
> Hi, there,
>
> Guy Boisvert wrote:
>>       I just received a Supermicro server back from factory repair.
>> Installed CentOS 6.3 x86_64 fresh from DVD (tried with 6.4, same
>> result).  Everything goes fine until i install Virtualization* yum
>> groups.  Virtualization is enabled in BIOS.  Server boots, CentOS loads
>> and i have even a login prompt.  If i'm fast enough to enter login name
>> and password, shell works for about 10 sec.  Then, it seems to hang.
>> Pressing CTRL-C seems to work as i see it on screen (CTRL-C text).
>>
>>       I'm used to Xen in CentOS 5 where we can choose a non-Xen kernel at
>> boot time.  With CentOS 6 and KVM, i'm kinda lost!  I Googled a lot and
> The "choose a kernel" is the grub menu, and unless you've disabled it, you
> can still do it. Try hitting any key as soon as you see the "about to boot
> ... in x sec"
>
> I'd boot to single usermode (s at the end of the kernel line), and check
> the logs.
>
> And I really, *REALLY* don't like Supermicro. We've got a large bunch of
> servers from Penguin, who's all Supermicro, and we've sent a ton back for
> repair, as well as doing things here, *and* several of those sent back
> were sent back more than once.
>
> Luck.
>
>        mark

Thanks for your response Mark.

I was able to get the Grub menu but there was only one kernel choice.
I'll try in single user mode and get back here.

As for Supermicro, i was using Tyan before but their support (and
associated website) was very bad (last time i used it was 2 years ago,
maybe it's better now, dunno...).  If we exclude Supermicro and Tyan,
i'm not sure were i could go for "OEM" servers.  I don't like HP, Dell,
etc.: Expensive and they use a lot of "for them only" parts + they try
to sell packages that are often not what i want.

Thanks again.

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.
http://www.ingtegration.com