[CentOS] CentOS 6 SFF motherboard or complete system

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jun 27 17:58:32 UTC 2013

Dale Dellutri wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com>
> wrote:
>
>>         I am trying to assemble or purchase a set of CentOS 6 compatible
>> SFF workstations, and am finding it incredibly frustrating to do so.
<snip>
>>  My requirements aren't overwhelming; an i7 processor, four memeory
>> slots preferred, dual 24" (1920x1200) monitor capability, and dual
>> ethernet (or an expansion slot for a second Ethernet card).
<snip>
> I assume SFF is small form factor.  If you're willing to buy from Dell,
> the Optiplex 9010 SFF has 4 memory slots, i7 capable, 2 expansion PCIe-16
>  (one wired x4) slots.  You could use one for a dual monitor graphics
> card, and the other for extra ethernet ports.

Don't do Optiplex. That's a "consumer" grade box. Get a Precision - that's
what we have here. Also, all of our workstations have video cards with
dual ports. If you go this route, MAKE SURE THAT THEY GIVE YOU THE RIGHT
VIDEO PORTS on the card - we got several with *only* dual displayports,
and *one* display to DVI adaptor. (Needless to say, we didn't order those
directly, the orders went up and over....)

> You'd need to get to someone in  Dell enterprise support if you want to
> buy one without Windows, or you could just not use the Windows license.

You can order them with either no O/S, or RHEL (with a year's license).
<snip>

        mark