[CentOS] Setting up dovecot under CentOS-6.4

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Jun 29 23:11:55 UTC 2013

On 6/29/2013 2:58 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I want to set up dovecot on a CentOS server.
> I did this before, some time ago,
> but it seems to have become much more complicated,
> involving postfix, amavisd-new and clamav (for spamassassin).

you need some form of message transport, whether its postfix or sendmail
is up to you.    AV stuff is strictly optional.

> What puzzles me is the role, if any, of procmail and .procmailrc
> in this new system.
> Is procmail no longer used/needed?

procmail can be used as the delivery agent if you so want.  if you do
use it, then you can configure it with .procmailrc scripts on a per
account basis to do all the usual procmail things.    if you're using
postfix as the MTA, then you can use its built in 'local' delivery
agent, or that can be configured to use procmail if you prefer.