[CentOS] preventing apache from being a mail relay

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Mar 3 21:49:39 UTC 2013

On 03/03/2013 04:33 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 03.03.2013 22:30, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>> I am trying to recall back at least 2 years, and my notes are poor, and
>> my searching appears to be worst...
>>
>> Seems I recall that last when I set up my apache server, the spammers
>> were posting to it so it would send out the spam on port 25.  There was
>> some conf that I did to block this, but I did not document it, and I
>> can't find any reference to this
> what are you speaking about?
> apache is a WEBSERVER and has NOTHING to do with email

There was an attack, and if you search you will find references to it,
where the spammers post to your web server in such a way that they relay
out port 25.  They send to your port 80, but you send out port 25.  For
example:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-173601.html

My old server has been running smoothly for over two years, but it is
time to bring the software current.  I did all the work on this back
then, or maybe before and copied from my earlier server.  This time I am
trying to build everything clean and document every change I make.