[CentOS] Software RAID complete drives or individual partitions

Chris Weisiger

cweisiger at bellsouth.net
Tue Mar 5 03:53:48 UTC 2013

I have been reading about software raid. I configured my first software raid system about a month ago.

I have 4 500 Gig drives configured in RAID 5 configuration with a total of 1.5TB.

Currently I configured the complete individual drivers as software raid, then created a /dev/md0 with the drives

I then created a /file_storage partition on /dev/md0.

I created my /boot / and swap partitions on a non raid drive in my system.

Is the the proper way to configure software raid?