[CentOS] Software RAID complete drives or individual partitions

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Mar 6 19:00:19 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 07:53 PM, Chris Weisiger wrote:

> Currently I configured the complete individual drivers as software
> raid, then created a /dev/md0 with the drives

If you configure an entire drive as a raid device, you'd have a device
name like /dev/mdp0, which you'd then partition.  I think what you've
done is created only one partition per disk, and made those partitions
into a RAID set.  That's not wrong, but it's not the same thing.

Non-partitionable RAID sets such as the one you've created are the most
common configuration for software RAID.  Hardware RAID volumes are
almost always the partionable type.

> Is the the proper way to configure software raid?

"Proper" is relative to its fitness for a specific purpose.  As you
haven't indicated a specific purpose, "proper" doesn't have any real
meaning.

The array you've created will work, and it will protect your data from
loss due to the failure of a single disk.  You need to make sure your
"root" mail is delivered to someone who will read it in a timely manner,
or else that protection is not useful.  The array's performance will be
relatively lower than a single-drive configuration or a RAID10
configuration, but that may be acceptable for bulk storage.  The array
will not protect you from filesystem corruption or from accidental
deletion.  Subject to those and other limitations, your array seems more
or less proper.