[CentOS] raid 1 question

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Mar 7 23:35:10 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 06:29 PM, Dave Johansen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler at riscworks.net>
> wrote:
>> On 03/07/2013 05:30 PM, thus Paras pradhan spake:
>>
>>> Hi,
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I have a server with 2 disks. Installed centos 5.9 with raid1. I
>>> created /dev/md0 to hold "/"  and /dev/md1 for swap and nothing
>>> else. Grub is installed on /dev/md0. After the successful
>>> installation, the server does not boot. I don't see the boot loader .
>>> I see a blank cursor blinking.
>>>
>>> What have I done wrong?
>> have you paid attention on 'Section Two' here?
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5
> Does the same warning about it not being recommended to use the
> software RAID also apply to CentOS 6?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave,  I've been using software raid with every type of RedHat distro RH/CentOS/Fedora for over 10 years without any
serious difficulties.  I don't quite understand the logic in all these negative statements about software raid on that
wiki page.  The worst I get into is I have to boot from a bootdisk if the MBR gets corrupted for any reason.  No big
deal.  Just rerun grub.

Gerry