[CentOS] Cannot mount 3TB MyBook USB HD

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Mar 8 22:17:36 UTC 2013

On 3/8/2013 2:08 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>   Make
> sure the partition type is GPT. I don't believe FAT or FAT-32 can handle a
> drive this big.

GPT is actually the LABEL type for the whole disk, and not the partition
type.

iirc, fat16 has a 2GB max due to inherent limitations, and FAT32/VFAT
starts to get sketchy somewhere north of 128GB, but tthe absolute max
size is 2TB with standard sector sizes.  FAT32 also has a max single
file size of 4GB

anyways, for sharing data between windows and unix systems, I highly
recommend this thing called 'networking'.    put the disk on a server or
NAS and share it with SMB (for windows clients) and/or NFS (for
unix/linux clients).