[CentOS] Lockups with kernel-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 23:14:10 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I will try your suggestion of trying a separate set of banks in the
>> off chance that those slots are faulty.
>
> I had one a few years ago where it took about 3 days for memtest to
> catch the bad RAM but even after fixing that there were random
> crashes.  Turned out that the bad RAM had caused some disk corruption
> which was partly hidden by raid1 mirroring.  Once in a while a program
> block read would hit the bad copy, but when you look for it everything
> looks OK...

I'm running on the second bank now. I ran into a snag running mcelogd
however (processor might not be supported). It appears that the CPU is
not supported even after enabling the CONFIG_EDAC_MCE and
CONFIG_EDAC_AMD64 in the /boot/config-xxx..  The error sometimes takes
a few hours to occur so will use this system throughout the night to
try to catch the failure.

Starting mcelog daemon                                     [FAILED]
AMD Processor family 21: Please load edac_mce_amd module.
CPU is unsupported