[CentOS] lost connection during yum update

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Mon Mar 11 03:23:23 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:16:10 -0400
Gerry Reno wrote:

> Boot to rescue mode and see if you can mount the device containing the root
> filesystem readonly and see all the files on it.
>
> Then check that the kernel root option is looking at the same device.

I can indeed see all of the files on that computer, including the boot
directory and everything under /

I don't know what to do from that point, though.

Here is the grub.conf from the working system, which is pretty much identical
to one of the non-working systems.  I assume that you mean I need to do
something to change and/or fix the root= portion of the kernel commandline, but
how do I find out what to change it to?

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686 ro
root=/dev/mapper/vg_ws195-lv_root rd_NO_LUKS LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rd_NO_MD quiet
SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd_LVM_LV=vg_ws195/lv_swap rhgb crashkernel=auto
KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=us rd_LVM_LV=vg_ws195/lv_root rd_NO_DM
initrd /initramfs-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686.img