[CentOS] Postfix setup

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Mar 11 08:39:29 UTC 2013

Am 11.03.2013 03:54, schrieb Austin Einter:
> Dear All
> I am planning to setup mail server for my domain.
>
> Which one is preferred postfix or sendmail.

Choose the one you understand best.

> I came across a link *
> http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/setup-mail-server-using-postfixdovecotsquirrelmail-in-centosrhelscientific-linux-6-3-step-by-step/
> * for postfix mail setup.

Don't follow tutorials. Period.
They don't really teach you how to do things. Look at the one you
refered to: it explains nothing. It keeps you dumb and in case something
goes wrong - and be assured, things will go mad running a mailserver -
you have not the slightest clue how to debug or how to fix it.

So please, read the original documentation of the MTA of choice.

And don't expect to be able to configure your first MTA properly right
from the beginning. So don't start with a public one but train in a
closed area like a protected LAN.

> It says,
> Prerequisites:
>
>    - The mail server should contain a valid MX record in the DNS server.
>    Navigate to this link how to setup DNS
> server<http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/setup-dns-server-step-by-step-in-centos-6-3-rhel-6-3-scientific-linux-6-3-3/>
>    .
>    - Firewall and SELinux should be disabled.

Any tutorial or page that instructs you to turn off the firewall and/or
SELinux is going plainly wrong right from the start. I have no words
about that nonsense.

> I have disabled iptables as my m/c is behind the firewall.
>
> It says I need to disable firewall. Is it really required. Kindly let me
> know.

It is required to configure the iptables based firewall, but it is not
required to completely shut it off.

> Best Regards
> Austin

Regards