[CentOS] Vhost.conf file and info. re: partitions and physical drives

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 00:28:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Bruce Whealton
<bruce at futurewaveonline.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>          I was following a tutorial for setting up apache to work with more
> than one domain, virtual domains.  So, I created a vhost.conf file in the
> folder /etc/httpd/conf.d/  When I saved that file, which gets called by the
> httpd.conf file inside the directory /etc/httpd/conf/, I tried to restart
> the server and it failed to start.  I had to rename the vhost.conf file to

Check your Apache logs in /var/log/httpd/

> vhost.conf.back to keep what I did and try to figure out how to get this to
> work.  I'll copy that very short file below.
>
> First, regarding the next issue, I want to figure out where, on which
> physical drive, a top level partition exists.  Specifically /opt.   I have
> the Centos installed on a drive that is 1TB, and on that drive the / root
> directory is mounted.  I'm concerned that one drive might be going bad and

Determine what your drives' block device names are:
fdisk -l

Then dump the SMART log for each:
smartctl -a /dev/sdX

> it is the smaller drive anyway.  So, I just don't know how to find this
> information.  I can get information on some directories with a few commands
> that deal with partitions, but I don't see how to find the physical
> location
> of every single top level partition.

Try:
mount

If utilizing LVM the following will also be helpful:
lvdisplay

> thanks in advance for help.  I'll post the vhost.conf file that caused the
> server to not start.
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ServerAdmin webmaster at fwwebdev.dnsdynamic.com
>      ServerName fwwebdev.dnsdynamic.com
>      ServerAlias www.fwwebdev.dnsdynamic.com
>      DocumentRoot /home/www/fwwebdev.dnsdynamic.com/public_html/
>      ErrorLog /home/www/fwwebdev.dnsdynamic.com/logs/error.log
>      CustomLog /home/www/fwwebdev.dnsdynamic.com/logs/access.log combined
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ServerAdmin webmaster at futurewavewebdevelopment.com
>      ServerName futurewavewebdevelopment.com
>      ServerAlias www.futurewavewebdevelopment.com
>      DocumentRoot /home/www/futurewavewebdevelopment.com/public_html/
>      ErrorLog /home/www/futurewavewebdevelopment.com/logs/error.log
>      CustomLog /home/www/futurewavewebdevelopment.com/logs/access.log
> combined
> </VirtualHost>
>

> Bruce

> Bruce Whealton - Web Design/Development/Programming
> Future Wave Web Development:
> http://futurewaveonline.com
> Developing for the Desktop as well as for
> Mobile Devices - Smartphones/Tablets
> Call 919-636-5809

Mike
//  SilverTip257  //