[CentOS] Using LAMP stacks

Bruce Whealton bruce at futurewaveonline.com
Thu Mar 14 17:53:06 UTC 2013

>Your server has probably got all the components of a LAMP stack on it.
>If it hasn't it is a simple matter of installing them using yum. You would
learn a lot by doing it that way. yum will put stuff in the correct
locations.

>If you are sure that you want to use a pre-packed LAMP stack, then I guess
that they must use different ports. I've never used one. I suspect that you
will have issues >down the track, eg when you need to upgrade either the
system or the LAMP stack.

>One option is to find an appliance ISO and use that rather than try to
install a LAMP stack on top of an existing system.

I suppose you are correct.  The real problem I was having was getting
domain1.com to point to one location and domain2.com to point to another and
to serve php files from both.  Previously, I had problems with this,
especially frustrating was when php didn't work.  Didn't work meaning it
wasn't being processed on the server.  With my latest install that does work
now.  It was soooo frustrating.  Nothing out there seemed to offer a
solution and the log files were unhelpful.
These packaged lamp stacks do not resolve the issue of running virtual
domains, such as domain1.com and domain2.com.  As noted in a prior email,
when I added a vhost.conf file, the server would not restart.
Thanks,
Bruce