[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 14:58:20 UTC 2013

On 14/03/13 20:32, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, both of you, and good catch. Now I need to dig into what
>>> happened on *my* end: the elrepo.conf was dated last summer, and I had
>>> kmod-nvidia and nvidia-x11-drv installed... but when you folks pointed
> me to it, it
>>> *only* had includepkgs=kmod-nvidia. I know I didn't do a localinstall,
>>> so I need to figure out how I installed it, if the repo file was like
> that,
>>> or if it got backed up to some in-progress repo from before I got the
>>> install working.
>>
>> So, what you've found is that this is a recurrence of the old problem
>> you had before?
>>
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2012-July/127950.html
>>
>> If so, just curious why this resurfaced.
>
> I'd forgotten about that, but yep, that's it. Hmmm... thank you I think, I
> see it now: that was *right* around the time that I got this workstation,
> and was building it.
>
> Wonder if I explicitly, on a command line, got that, and then didn't add
> it, or whether this got restored from something during that initial
> build....
>
> I'll make sure *that* doesn't happen again.
>
> Again, thanks to all who helped me pinpoint what went wrong.

You're welcome.

Mark - as a general word of advise, next time you have an issue, rather
than ranting because something isn't working as you expect and calling
people stupid, perhaps you could try describing the problem you are
experiencing in a rational manor and provide supporting information. It
seems you had already decided it was someone else's fault and were more
interested in blaming others than examining your own issues.

Most people in the community are happy to provide free support for the
free software we ship, but when you start a thread accusing my
colleagues and myself of being stupid, well it does not endear yourself
to me nor put me in a state of mind where I particularly want to go out
of my way to help you, for free. This isn't the first time; it will be
the last.