[CentOS] 2 questions re UPS management

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 20 19:41:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:37:54PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 03/20/2013 11:19 AM, Keith Keller wrote:
> > Do you have a specific example of a UPS that is explicitly documented to
> > be configurable in this fashion?
>
> All of the non-rackmount APC UPSs I've seen in the last few years have a
> master outlet.
>
> http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/EALN-7SEGRP/EALN-7SEGRP_R6_EN.pdf
>
> Search for "master", and read the section Operation/power-saving feature
> for information on configuring the UPS.

the one in question (on the C5 box in my office) has no such labeling
on its battery-backed-up outlets, so if it has a master outlet, it's
undocumented.

I recall, from reading docs in either nut, or the apc package for
linux (don't recall which) that many USB UPSes do have signalling
between the UPS and the computer to tell the UPS to shut itself off
when the system has gone offline. So, I've been assuming that's what
is happening in my case.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked