[CentOS] [Mildly OT] Re: (Al)pine on CentOS 6

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Tue Mar 26 16:13:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Max Pyziur wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

[...]

>>> I *really* think you ought to ask in those repos, or alpine's mailing
>>> list. What's bothering me is it asserting that the "folder vulnerable",
>>> then saying that it needs to be world-read/writeable; ours are all 775.
>>
>> Ok, then.
>>
>> I find the "users" list on fedoraproject challenging.
>
> Heh, heh. We can be touchy, here, too... but when someone comes in who's
> actually read manpages, and googled, before coming here - in other words,
> they don't expect us to do their jobs, just help them do it, we usually
> try to help.

Aggressiveness is less of an issue. Getting good signal (relative to
ad-hominem noise) is important.

Twenty years ago, Usenet with a good reader got big/thick signal,
especially on the tech lists.

However since then, projects have become numerous and varied, as have
sources of information (email lists, web-based discussions, etc). Finding
good, clear, authoritative, and consistent "signal" is difficult,
especially when you find yourself in a jam.

And Usenet is effectively gone.

[...]
>> Thank you for your help.
>
> Sorry I couldn't help more.