[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Mar 26 21:29:19 UTC 2013

On 03/26/2013 03:25 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> On 3/26/2013 3:14 PM, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
>> On 26 March 2013 18:58, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>>> Had you, for example, searched to find out a) how to look at a file, b)
>>> looked at the files I suggested you look at, or c) showed you'd done
>>> ANYTHING other than read my response and go, "duh, what's that mean?", I'd
>>> have been willing to work with you.
>      I had done some of the things you said. Did find out  a) and b) and
> I think I posted output from cat
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 in the thread. I know it is
> there in post 26. Trying to learn Linux at age 77 ain't easy. The
> comments from different ppl will not send me scurrying back to windows.
> I have no probs with Ubuntu 12.2 nor Mint 14. Both installed on their
> own HDs the first time and I didn't have to edit anything. Only CentOS
> is giving me troubles which is a surprising thing to me. Is this due to
> differences between Debian and PRM.

No, the problem is that you did not turn on networking when you did the
install.

Since networking is off, you have to get it turned on (or reinstall and
turn it on this time).

See this FAQ entry:

http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS6#head-b67e85d98f0e9f1b599358105c551632c6ff7c90

and this screen on how to do it on an install:

http://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_6&p=install

In the 8th step ... you need to press the "Configure Network" button and
you need to then check the "Connect Automatically" box (per the above
FAQ link).