[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Robert Benjamin benjie1 at cox.net
Fri Mar 29 17:10:10 UTC 2013

On 3/29/2013 7:41 AM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
> On 3/28/2013 4:25 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Robert Benjamin <benjie1 at cox.net> wrote:
>>>        Thought it was not a good idea to use yum remove .... but had to
>>> try. In my head I could see you asking me to try it and I should have
>>> TRIED something, not just sit here. Well, hopefully I can put those
>>> packages back as you said, tomorrow. Will look for Fraesch book. Thanks
>>> for the suggestion. Not sure if I'm at runlevel 5 .It's at whatever it
>>> was set at during the install. Never changed any settings unless told
>>> to. In the one login I only installed FF, TB, Calc Gimp etc from the
>>> Applications menu .Entered email addys and bookmarks and logged out
>>> thinking I'd be OK to get back in again. HA!
>> Default install would be runlevel 5, at least if you include desktop
>> components.   And your assumption that you would be able to log in
>> again wasn't bad - you seem to have some very unusual issue that no
>> one else has.
>>
>       Having an issue that no one else has makes me feel good in a way.
> At least I didn't do something incredibly stupid ( that we know of
> yet), and on the other hand, it isn't encouraging either. Will try and
> add the packages I removed as you suggested and then  use rm /tmp/
> .X0-lock and hope it lets me log in.                    Bob
>
>            (At the center of a black hole is a man with a flashlight,
> running around looking for a circuit breaker.)

looked in /var/log/yum.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log  permission denied
chmod a+x OK got list of time stamped and at bottom I tried yum install
one of the items there. Got 'no package name '.  tried rm /tmp/ .X0-lock
gives '/tmp is a dir.
Did cd /tmp/ .X0-lock  and ls several files and subdirs (?) but no
X0-lock. Noticed var there so cd /var and ls cd tmp got ifcfg-eth0.swp
and also benjie1-HnQ9gw adjacent to the .swp  BTW benjie1 is my user
login. Tried again to find .X0-lock and no luck. Hope I didn't make
things worse. Yum update said no packages set for install and yum
install (from time stamped items) said 'no package available' with the
name and numbers  from a time stamped line picked at random.
     Have a GREAT Easter Holiday. Thanks so much for your patience and
hlp. Greatly appreciated. We will get this to work, Right!

Bob