[CentOS] unprivileged users rebooting at console

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun May 5 11:52:24 UTC 2013

On May 5, 2013 6:39 AM, "Joseph Spenner" <joseph85750 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm curious why any user logged in at the console can issue the 'reboot'
command and reboot the system.  I've tested/verified this to work, and read
some older posts about this.  If it were a bug, I suspect it would be fixed
by now.
> Also, if a user is logged into the console, and then logs in via ssh from
another system, that user can also reboot the system from that ssh
connection.  It would seem that once a user authenticates on the console,
and remains on the console, they can reboot from any other/new tty.  Once
they drop off the console, the ssh connections can no longer reboot.

> If this is by design, why?
>
> Thanks!

"Consolekit"

Users with physical acces have higher capabilities in software because,
well, physical access is root access.

Also, that configuration works better for workstation installations;
imagine if a user couldn't shut down their laptop safely because they
didn't have admin privileges on the system.

(Sorry for brief response; sending from phone.)